Pondering the meaning of life?
Find your answers here.
What is Canidae’s brand mission?
We are on a mission to create a world of sustainable goodness for pets and our planet. We work hard to nourish pets and the planet in every bowl with wholesome, responsibly sourced proteins and regeneratively farmed plants. And we invest in regenerative farming, sustainable operations and eco-friendly packaging, setting a new standard for the pet food industry. Everything we do results in a better product for you and your pets.
Where is Canidae’s pet food manufactured?
We are proud to produce our kibble in our own pet nutrition plant in Brownwood, Texas. Operating our own manufacturing facility allows us to have complete control over the formulas, quality and nutrition of our food, ensuring you and your pets get the best from us. To produce our wet food and treats we vetted dozens of facilities across the U.S. and hand selected a group of trusted partners who uphold our high standards of quality. We work closely with them to ensure we’re proud of the food we serve your pets and our own.
What does Canidae do to preserve the health of our planet?
Some of our preservation efforts include:
- Sustainable operations: We partner with US Farmers practicing Regenerative Agriculture, minimizing negative impact on farmlands and nurturing a healthier planet & healthier food for your pets. Today we use 50% of available ingredients from regeneratively farmed crops, with a goal to grow that to 80% by 2030.
- Sustainable ingredients: We are bringing responsibly sourced proteins like wild-caught Alaskan salmon, cage-free chicken, and plant-based proteins, along with regeneratively farmed vegetables and legumes across many of our recipes.
- Sustainable Packaging: Our Sustain line uses 40% post-consumer-recycled materials (the most in the pet food category) and we are actively working to bring recycled materials across all of our packaging in 2022 and 2023. We also just launched the world’s first Kibble Refill Station, a reusable, bulk-buying solution that eliminates single-use plastics.
Do you meet AAFCO Standards?
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) defines and establishes regulations for the pet food industry and sets standards for nutritional adequacy. While AAFCO serves as a great baseline, Canidae works with a team of pet food experts to not only meet the minimum AAFCO standards but to exceed them in many cases. We offer a variety of products and recipes that are complete and balanced for dogs of all life stages, adult dogs, puppies, and senior dogs, all of which are formulated to provide the perfect amount of nutrients, in the correct proportion, in each and every meal.
How long does dry dog food stay good after the package is opened?
Your kibble is best used within 3 months after opening and it must be stored in a cool and dry place. While you can choose to store your food directly in the package in which it came, we recommend keeping kibble in an airtight container in a cool, dark, dry room with a temperature between 40–70 degrees Fahrenheit, for optimal freshness and stability.
How do you source your ingredients?
We source ingredients from local suppliers, farms using regenerative practices, and sustainable meat suppliers as much as possible. All ingredients must meet our detailed specifications and quality standards.
Where can I buy Canidae in store?
Click here to use our Store Locator. Our dog foods, cat foods, and treats are available at thousands of locations throughout the United States and Canada and more than 34 countries worldwide.
Do you offer samples?
We currently do not offer samples of our products. We encourage you to keep an eye out for promotions from our retail partners. If you need help finding a store near you that might have a trial bag or have specific questions about a promotion, please reach out to us at 800-398-1600 – we’re happy to help.
Do you have a frequent buyer program?
Many of the independent pet stores that sell Canidae have a Frequent Buyer Program: Buy 12 Get 1 Free. You will qualify for a free product after collecting 12 UPC codes and submitting them to your participating local independent retailer. Please reach out to your local independent pet store to see if they participate. In addition to these independent retailers, below is a list of retailers that have their own loyalty programs:
- Petco Pals Rewards: earn points for every purchase
- PetSmart Treats: earn points for every purchase
- Tractor Supply Neighbor’s Club: access program benefits and earn rewards that include savings on pet food
Does Canidae offer recyclable or recycled-material packaging?
In 2020 Canidae launched a line of Sustainable pet foods packaged in 40% post-consumer-recycled materials – the most available in the pet food industry. We are actively working to bring recycled material across all our pet food throughout 2022 and 2023. Our cans are composed of aluminum and tin with a paper label and our bone broths and patés are packed in cardboard material. Please check with your local recycling facility to ensure they can properly recycle these materials.
The color or shape of the kibble in my current bag is different than my last bag. Why is that?
Our pet foods are made in smaller batches. Though we use the same ingredients listed for each formula (what we say on the bag is what’s IN the bag!), any variations in color, size, or shape that you experience from bag to bag is due to the individual cooking process of each batch.
Do you have a breeder program?
Yes, we recently relaunched our breeder program as Club Canidae. Any breeder that has sold a litter of puppies in the past 12 months can apply. Once accepted, you will receive exclusive rewards and competitive savings on our dog food, shipped conveniently straight to your door. For more details and to apply, please go to club.canidae.com
Does Canidae partner with any not-for-profit organizations?
Yes, we do!
- We are Icon members with the Pet Sustainability Coalition
- We are an official partner of the Rodale Institute for organic and regenerative farming
- We are the official pet food partner of Alliance of Therapy Dogs
- We donate over a million pounds of food each year to the San Antonio Food Bank
- We give to the Green Ark foundation, an eco-friendly pet rescue.